The gates to Golden Gardens will close an hour and a half earlier over the next nine months as part of a pilot project to alleviate public safety concerns.
Seattle Parks and Recreation is changing the hours from 4:00 am to 11:30 pm and from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm The changes were effective Wednesday, June 23. According to Seattle Parks, the modified hours pilot will last 270 days, during which point the department will re-evaluate the park’s hours of operation.
Seattle Parks says the change is intended “to help alleviate an increase in public safety concerns and illegal activity in the park, including acts of violence, excessive noise violations, illegal fires, illegal parking, unauthorized events and blocked access for emergency vehicles. . “
The Parks Department has implemented a number of new strategies to deter illegal behavior in the park, including the following (from Seattle Parks):
- Public education: To clarify and publicize the beach fire rules and other park rules, we use our website and social media resources, sandwich signs in the park, and most recently two large electronic read signs indicating that fires are only authorized in authorized fireplaces. , and the time at which fires should be extinguished. (Reading board messaging may change to reflect updates.)
- Reinforced staffing: Five staff members are on the beach every night. They remind park users that fires can only be in homes and must be extinguished before 9:30 p.m. remind park users that amplified music is prohibited; pick up the rubbish; cleaning and restocking the toilets.
- Reduced hours for fires: Staff extinguish beach fires before 9:30 a.m. every evening.
- Entrance to the park: The staff refuse the entry of vehicles when the car park is full.
- SPD coordination: We remain in close communication and strategize with SPD regarding efforts to enforce laws and prevent illegal behavior. A new memorandum of understanding between SPR and SPD, effective May 30, is expected to strengthen enforcement efforts.
- Ambient encouragement: We installed trailers with powerful LED light clusters to deter illegal activity by brightly lighting up the beach at 9:30 p.m. every night.
The department says that despite these combined efforts, they have heard growing concerns from community members about illegal activities in the park.
Fires are still permitted on Golden Gardens Beach in designated rings of fire. Seattle Parks demands that people burn only clean wood and put out fires completely before leaving. Fireplaces are unlocked daily at 4:00 p.m. and all fires must be extinguished by 9:30 p.m., visitors leaving by 10:00 p.m. Seattle Parks staff will be at the beach to manage and help put out fires at 9:30 p.m. h 30 available here.
Photo: Seattle Parks on Flickr