Seattle Parks and Recreation opens renovated and upgraded Westcrest Off-Leash area
Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) is pleased to announce that the Westcrest Off-Leash Area (OLA) project is substantially complete and that the OLA will be open to the public by the end of the day, June 10. Westcrest Park is located in southwest Seattle at 9000 8th Ave SW, 98106 and provides a big OLA for West Seattle.
Funding for the project was provided by the Seattle Park District Major Maintenance and Asset Management Fund. Thank you for your patience during the realization of this project. Here are the improvements for the park:
- Improved transport of runoff water and reduced potential for erosion in sloping areas through installation of rock/grass lined swales, concrete gutter, HDPE pipes and outfalls.
- Displacement of the points of water evacuation from the top of the slopes to the bottom of the slopes for a complete dispersion in the forest.
- Construct sediment traps to reduce transport of revetment materials and improve water quality.
- Restricted dog and pedestrian access to sloped and drainage areas with fencing to reduce erosion, allow restoration of ground cover and protect drainage infrastructure.
- Reclassification of major use areas by flattening and terracing to reduce runoff velocities and decrease the potential for erosion and sediment transport.
- Stabilized surfaces of dog play areas with a well-draining mineral aggregate.
- Made accessibility improvements in the north parking lot by providing an accessible parking bay and parking aisle for vans, an accessible double barrier enclosure and an accessible path to the picnic table.
A few work items will be completed after reopening due to shipping delays and construction sequence:
- Installation of one (1) new accessible picnic table. The contractor will close individual areas to install the benches once they arrive.
- Restoration of the temporary off-leash area near the p-patch. The fence around this area will remain in place for the contractor to restore this area with soil amendment, hydroseeding and allow for the establishment of a lawn.
We have also maintained temporary fencing around two areas of newly seeded lawn in the main off-leash area for lawn establishment. The fence will be removed once the lawn has established vigorous growth.
For more information, please visit https://www.seattle.gov/parks/about-us/projects/westcrest-park-drainage-improvements. If you have any questions about the project, please contact the project manager, Janice Liang at [email protected]. Thank you to the HPAC for their partnership and to the Citizens for Off Leash Areas (COLA) for their continued stewardship of this park. To learn more about HPAC, visit https://hpacinfo.wordpress.com/ and to learn more about COLA, visit http://www.seattlecola.org.