Seattle Parks to close Alki Beach early, turn on park lights to prevent crime and damage
In an effort to reduce fireworks and general infractions, Seattle Parks is closing Alki Beach Park early and turning on lights at area ball fields this weekend.
Archive: Alki Beach cleaned up on Saturday night after fighting, arrests
Alki Beach Park will close daily at 10 pm instead of 11:30 pm The park will reopen at its regular time of 4:30 am daily. The new closing hours start from Friday evening to Monday July 5th.
The city says the temporary change is intended to deter the illegal use of fireworks and help mitigate illegal activity over the holiday weekend.
âAlki Beach Park has seen an increase in public safety concerns, including acts of violence, excessive noise violations, illegal fires and unauthorized events,â the city said in a press release.
Fires are allowed in designated fire rings but must be extinguished before 9:30 p.m.
Parks says there are five staff at the park every night to remind beach goers of the rules. Additionally, Parks works alongside the Seattle Police Department to prevent illegal behavior.
In addition to temporary beach hours, the parks department also plans to turn on lights at ball fields around Seattle on Saturday and Sunday evenings to deter people from using fireworks.
The lights will come on around 8:30 p.m. and most will be off between around 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., depending on the terrain, depending on the city.
“Fireworks are illegal in the city of Seattle and will destroy artificial turf on surrounding fields or facilities,” the city said in a press release.
The city estimates that replacing a full-size lawn will cost about $ 1.2 million.
The lights in the following fields will be off at 11 p.m.
- Bobby Morris at Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Avenue
- Delridge Playfield, 4458 Delridge Way SW
- Garfield # 1, E Cherry St & 23rd Ave
- Genesee Upper and Lower Playfield, 4316 S Genesee St.
- Georgetown Playground, 750 S Homer St.
- Hiawatha Playfield, 2700 California Ave. SW
- Interbay Sports Complex, 3027 17th Ave W
- Jefferson Playfield, 4165 16th Ave. S
- Lower Woodland Playfield # 2 and # 7, 5201 Green Lake Way North
- Walt Hundley Playground, 6920 34th Avenue SW
- Washington Park Playground, 2500 Lake Washington Blvd. E
- West Seattle Stadium, 4432 35th Ave. SW
The lights in the following fields will go out at 10 p.m.
- Loyal Heights Playground, 2101 NW 77th St
- Mickey Merriam Athletic Field Complex, Magnuson # 5 (Rugby), # 6, # 7, 7400 Sand Point Way NE
- Miller Playfield, 330 19th Ave. E
- Brighton Playground, 6000 39th Ave S.
The lights will be off in the following grass fields at 11 p.m.
- Ballard Playfield, 2644 NW 60th St.
- Rainier Playground, 3700 S Alaska St.
- W Queen Anne Playground, 150 W Blaine St.